Nilam heads up the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Liability Group which includes the practice areas of financial lines, lawyers, and brokers in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Nilam is dual US and UK qualified and previously worked for an international law firm in New York before returning to London to set up Ince’s financial lines/fidelity, and D&O team. She is one of a small number of lawyers outside of the US that specialises in financial lines/D&O matters. She is instructed by US, Bermudian, European and Asian insurers as coverage and defence counsel on issues arising out of regulatory investigations and anglicising policy wordings for use in the UK market. Examples of work undertaken include:
- acting as coverage and monitoring counsel to D&O Canadian, US, European and Indian reinsurers in respect of a regulatory investigation of a high profile Indian IT company (India’s Enron);
- advising fidelity European insurers on bank losses arising out of the subprime mortgage crisis;
- advising D&O European insurers on FCPA and SFO allegations in respect of a UK defence company;
- advising US D&O insurers in respect of a failed insolvency of a high profile German media company and
- drafting and interpreting pension trustee liability and D&O policies.
Nilam is a member of the Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), committee member of Professionals' Officers' and Directors' Liability (PODL) and the only UK member of the Fidelity and Surety Committee. She is a regular speaker on the international financial lines and D&O circuit and listed as a leading lawyer for financial lines and D&O in the Legal 500. Nilam is the European author for a forthcoming D&O desk book to be published by the ABA this summer.
Recent Speaking Engagements
February 2013 - Nilam was a panellist at the ‘A Professional Officers and Directors Liability - Day at Lloyd’s’ event in New York. The panel discussed the differences between how claims are handled in the UK and the US.
February 2013 - Nilam gave a presentation at the ‘Professional Liability and Underwriting (PLUS) Annual D&O Conference’ in New York. At this premier event for the D&O market Nilam was on a panel with representatives of Zurich, Aon and Marsh discussing global D&O issues.